Global Advanced Research Journal of Agricultural Science (GARJAS) ISSN: 2315-5094
August 2015 Vol. 4(8): pp. 387-390
Copyright © 2015 Global Advanced Research Journals
Full Length Research Paper
Balanites aegyptiaca: First Record for the Flora in Qatar
Elsayed M. Elazazi1,2, Reda M. Rizk3,4, Salwa D. Al-Kuwari1, Subah S. Al-Marri1, Baina Sh. Al-Marri1, Essam O. H. saifelnasr1,4 and Naema A. Eltanger2
1 Department of Agricultural Research, Ministry of Environment, Qatar.
2 Egyptian Deserts Gene Bank, Desert Research Center, Egypt.
3 Arab Organization for Agricultural Development, Sudan.
4 National Gene Bank, Agriculture Research Center, Egypt.
*Corresponding Author’s E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: 0097470392701.
Accepted 29 July, 2015
We report the discovery of the Balanites aegyptiaca (L.) Delile var. aegyptiaca in Qatar for the first time. According to the national biodiversity reports and national and international literatures, there are no record for the species in Qatar. Also, its presence has not been detected either by locals or experts in Qatar before, although the species present in the Arabian Peninsula, Iran, and much of South Asia. We had discovered this species in Ar-Rayyan municipality at a location near Salwa road, 25 km from Doha, 90 km to Qatar–KSA borders (25°11'38.9"N 51°22'32.3"E). However, our findings highlights the need of a comprehensive survey around all Qatar, in order to document the presence of other plant species, and also to complete the catalogue of flora in Qatar.
Keywords: First record, desert dates, Balanites aegyptiaca, flora, Qatar.
- Elsayed M. Elazazi on Google Scholar
- Elsayed M. Elazazi on Pubmed
- Reda M. Rizk on Google Scholar
- Reda M. Rizk on Pubmed
- Salwa D. Al-Kuwari on Google Scholar
- Salwa D. Al-Kuwari on Pubmed
- Subah S. Al-Marri on Google Scholar
- Subah S. Al-Marri on Pubmed
- Baina Sh. Al-Marri on Google Scholar
- Baina Sh. Al-Marri on Pubmed
- Essam O. H. saifelnasr on Google Scholar
- Essam O. H. saifelnasr on Pubmed
- Naema A. Eltanger on Google Scholar
- Naema A. Eltanger on Pubmed