Global Advanced Research Journal of Microbiology (GARJM) ISSN: 2315-5116

July, 2015. Vol. 4(6), pp 071-076

Copyright © 2015 Global Advanced Research Journals

 

Review

Eyam’s Guardian Gene; C282Y, H63D or Delta 32?

Peter Stride1, Kylie Lopes Floro2

 

1 University of Queensland School of Medicine, Brisbane, Queensland Australia 4012

2 Princess Alexandra Hospital, Queensland, Australia

*Corresponding Author’s Email: pjostride@gmail.com

Accepted 20 July, 2015

 

Abstract

 

The little village of Eyam in England’s Derbyshire Peak District is well known for its devastating epidemic of plague in 1665. Led by the vicar, William Mompesson, and the puritan minister, Thomas Stanley, the villagers altruistically quarantined themselves for fourteen months to prevent the spread of the infection to neighbouring villages. Up to 80% of the population died, raising the question of what enabled the remaining 20% to survive when surrounded by the dead and dying with a very contagious disease. One possibility is a genetic trait. The most common suggestion is the delta32 mutation of the CCR5 chemokine-receptor locus on human chromosome 3, but perhaps the previously unconsidered mutations of haemochromatosis (HC) played a significant role. The significance of both mutations is compared.

Keywords: Eyam, Guardian Gene, Delta 32.


 

Current Issue

Viewing Options

View Full Article - PDF
Download Full Article - PDF

Search for Articles

Peter Stride on Google Scholar
Peter Stride on Pubmed
Kylie Lopes Floro on Google Scholar
Kylie Lopes Floro on Pubmed

Statistics

Viewed 1472
Printed 868
Downloaded 1557
Powered By iPortal Works